Sunday, March 09, 2008

CQ, CQ, CQ.....

Simon arrived 7:30 this morning. Today I begin my Foundation Amateur Radio Licence. I showed Simon a shortcut to Great Ellingham. Despite the fact that I spent most of my life growing-up near this area, I totally forgot the difference between Hingham and Ellingham. No real problem. A call came in on Simon's radio shack from Rex the other instructor to confirm his position. We arrived ahead of everyone else.

Simons main line of work is as a crab fisherman at Blakeney. Because of the weather he hasn't been able to fish. I think he said during this down time he's been repairing the boat. What he hadn't told me before is that he has done a computer science degree, and he use to code COBOL. Why would he tell people this ? I guess it wouldn't mean much to most people, but for me ... I was well impressed.

David the chairman has his own company that makes data-loggers for schools. Narc is lucky in that David lets members use his facilities for training. He has a real cool building built next to his house with meeting room and a set-up for projector+white board.

After some coffee, Rex and David gave a short welcome and the course began. There was twelve of us including instructors. There was two younger members one being about 14 or 13 maybe older...and another with his father aged eleven. My god this eleven year old was so switched on. Each person around the room introduced themselves and Charlie the eleven year old boy was no exception : ) and very sure of himself.

We had a great time talking about radio and looking at aerials / antenna...


You Do The Math.....

No comments: